Saturday, November 22, 2008

More yearly picks.

Sualt Ste.Marie writer Ted Fryia weighs in with his favs for 2008.

I want to give you my BEST READ OF THE LAST WHILE:

Probably the funniest book I've ever read, "LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff" by Christopher Moore. The book is Biff's (Jesus' childhood friend) account of his and Jesus' (Joshua's) exploits that date after Joshua's birth - the story we were never told. The Archangel Gabriel has brought Biff back to earth in order produce the missing gospel - "let it be written" as Joshua had told Biff to do on so many occassions.

The Gospel According to Biff is a laugh out loud read from beginning to end and works on so many levels - whether you are a believer or not. Most highly recommended.

To be honest, the last few months have been exceptional for reads: I think I've mentioned Afterlands (Steve Heighton) when I was in T.Bay. Also, The Golden Spruce.

I'm almost finished Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, which is his debut novel a smash hit for critics and sales - seven figure contract through a bidding war. It's terrific, but one has to feel sympathy for poor Davidson - having to match or better Gargoyle with his next novel. Oh - only if we all had such problems - hey? But if I had to pick just one, let it be written, Biff wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment