Friday, March 27, 2009

SLEEPING GIANT WRITERS FESTIVAL, 2009

What would August in Thunder Bay be without the Sleeping Giant Writers Festival? Even the Giant would protest.

This year a change in venue, with more space for the increasing numbers of participants. No longer the old Prince Arthur but now the Old Fort.

And what a line up! Linda L. Richards on mystery thrillers. Scott Steadman on publishing , Fred Stinson on historical fiction. What to do? Which way to go? I know when the time comes I’ll go crazy picking my workshops.

One writer I will not miss is Lynn Coady, whose short stories I enjoy very much. By chance, I just read her story, “Jesus Christ Murdeena” anthologized in the Penguin Book of Canadian Short Stories, edited by Jane Urquart. I love short stories and this is a great example of a fun, thoughtful and unforgettable story. Great characters, great dialogue and crazy plot as Canadian as boreal rock – what more could you ask.

Keep your calendar clear for August 28, 29, 30, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment