Wednesday, April 8, 2009

THE SHORT STORY WARS

“The best art is political and you ought to make it unquestionably political and irrevocably beautiful at the same time” Toni Morrison

As I type this quote I can almost hear Canada’s John Metcalf screaming, “no, no, no.”

Metcalf, prolific writer, former publisher, member of the Order of Canada, all round curmudgeon and a tireless worker in the garden of Can Lit. dislikes stories that have a purpose, especially a nationalistic purpose. He sneers at, “plot stories.” He labels Margaret Atwood, Morley Callahan, Rohinton Mistry and Michael Ondaadje as second rate. His 2003 memoir, An Aesthetic Underground, a Literary Memoir sits on the remainder table at the local Chapters for 2 bucks, a humiliating spot for a very interesting and snappy book.

Last October , Metcalf publically dissed The Penguin Book of Canadian Short Stories slanging its editor, Jane Urquhurt. He wrote a sneering piece for the Globe and M and so the first shot was fired in the short-lived “Story Wars.”

I bought The Penguin Book of Short Stories for four reasons. First: I wanted to check out the fuss – was this a set of inferior offerings as Metcalf and company claimed? Second: I like short stories old and new and I was sure there would be a lot of new stuff in such a fat book. Three: Jane Urquhart was born in Longlac (brought up in Toronto but still!) Four: I think Urquhart novels are terrific. I remember being completely enthralled by Away and I still think it is her best.

Did I waste my money? Absolutely not. This is a premier collection. I am about half way along flinging myself into wonderful story after wonderful story. Many old friends are present: Carol Shields, Alice Munro, Margaret Atwood, Joseph Boyden, Alistair MacLeod. Here are three stories I just loved: And the Children shall Rise by Caroline Adderson, (creepy), Jesus Christ, Murdeena by Lynn Coady (funny) and Ring Around October by Adrienne Poy ( sad).

Most collections of short stories are uneven - some you like and others - naaa. I don't think I have read such an even collection for a long time, not since the days of the New Press Anthologies. I pulled out Best Canadian Fiction #1 from 1984 and guess what? The editors were Rooke and John Metcalf!.

To sum up: thanks Jane for a great collection of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment