Saturday, December 26, 2009

Charlie Wilkins to Row the Atlantic

It's all on the net - check out rocexpedition.com.

In his e mail , local author, Charlie Wilkins, said, " I am gradually getting ready... lots of training. The crossing was originally set to happen in early 2010, but for a number of reasons -- chiefly that the boat wasn't ready -- is now happening next December. Which is extremely good from my perspective, in that it gives me the time I need to get ready. It's a very demanding expedition, and I was aware by mid-autumn that I wasn't going to be nearly as fit as I'm going to have to be to properly contribute. So, I was secretly very happy about the delay, although some of the crew (who'd been training much longer than I have) weren't so thrilled. The boat will be ready by May, but because of the threat of hurricanes we can't cross till December. We're going to do an ocean trial in July, around Long Island and Manhattan, which will allow for some real experience and for the crew to work together and get to know one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment