Saturday, January 16, 2010

Avid Readers Pick the Books

Many thanks to everyone who sent me the name of their best read of 2010. Surprisingly no one added to the list of the worst books read in 2010.

Poet Margaret Rose Cunningham recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. This was a general favourite this year and a choice of many book clubs. The story takes place during WW II on the Isle of Guernsey when it was occupied by the Nazis.

She also liked Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama and Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.

Kids from eight years and up are still devouring the Harry Potter series which will probably stay in print until Hogwarts crumbles to dust.

Local avid reader, Hilke Grunys wrote. I really enjoyed Audrey Niffenegger's new book Her Fearful Symmetry. If you know someone that enjoyed the Time Traveller's Wife they will really enjoy this one. To me it's as if Ms. Niffenegger has captured the market on love stories with that bit of a quirky twist. I wanted to hold onto this one but was compelled to keep turning the page .

Also The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by the late Steig Larson, and Any Known Blood by Lawrence Hill.

Depending on the age of the children, Flat Stanley (by Jeff Brown) is a real hit with young Ethan, 6 years old.

Noreen from B.C writes, “I would recommend The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (recommended by Margaret Philips of the Northern Woman Bookstore in Thunder Bay) The Wife’s Tale, by Lori Larsens and the one I'm reading now, Brick Lane by Monica Ali.

Maggie writes, “I am reading a noel by Giles Blunt, not my first one. He is from North Bay and the story is set there. It is a detective novel . I like to read stories set in places I know.

The Bishop’s Man by Linden McIntyre won the Giller and became a number one best seller. It’s the story of a priest who had been given the job of covering up sex crimes. Now, back in a small Cape Breton parish, he is trying to make sense of his life and vocation.

Mistress of Nothing by Kate Pullinger. “An absolutely fabulous read says Anon. The best Christmas gift I ever had.”

No comments:

Post a Comment