Friday, October 22, 2010

Local Book Bonanza


I dropped into the Finnish Book Store and picked up Charlie Wilkin's latest -  The Wild Ride: A History of the North West Mounted Police 1873 - 1904.  Full of original photos maps and drawings as well as Wilkin's wonderful prose, this book sits on the top of my reading pile.

Elle Andra-Warner
I also bought David Thompson: A Life of Adventure and Discovery, by Elle Andrea- Warner.  The book is part of  the Amazing Stories series and outlines the life of one of our greatest explorers.  It opens with the song Map of Dream's by Rodney Brown.  This is a fit-in-your-purse book, great for travel.

I have a couple of good friends, 6 and 4 years old.  For Christmas, the four-year-old, Sam, gets Duncan Weller's Boy from the Sun, a book every child should have.  I am introducing Emily to Tove Jansson, or rather the world of the Moomins created by the great Finnish children's writer, Tove Jansson.I picked the book Finn Family Moomintroll to start.  From now on I'll have no trouble selecting birthday or Christmas presents. All kids love the Moomin books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment