Launch of The Lighkeeper's Daughters

Launch of The Lighkeeper's Daughters
by Jean Pendziwol

Elvis the Mountie Dog Steals the Show at the Book Signing

Elvis the Mountie Dog Steals the Show at the Book Signing
Elvis, Joan M. Baril, customer poet Rob Lem

Friday, August 16, 2013

Avoiding E-Books

I was going to write about the time I read a mystery story that had recipes embedded in the text and I did not book mark them.  Then I tried to find them again. I swiped that Kobo until my fingers turned to mush.  I never found one recipe and  so began to doubt my sanity.

I was going to mention the time I read Doctor Zhivago and wanted to go back to a wonderful scene, where the doctor was taken into the army, and read it again. But  I had learned my lesson and  after a few guesses as to the page number, I just sat and glowered at the Kobo. It smiled back.

Instead, I am going to mention that right now I am reading a great e book, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J. K. Rowling.  It is a straight up private-eye mystery. The impecunious private eye, the nice secretary who is engaged to a dull fellow (but we know what will happen at the end), the suicide that may be a murder, the interviews with all the people involved - many of them odd-ball types - well, you know the drill.  But our hero, en ex war vet,  is facing a complicated case. A lot happened on the fateful night when the  famous model fell to her death or, as this reader believes,  was pushed. But by whom?  If I had a real live book, I could go back and check certain facts that were passed over, perhaps too quickly.

But can I do that.? Can I take on the role of the involved  reader and try to solve  the mystery?  Did I bookmark? Did I know on page 40 that I would like to return to it once I got to page 100?  Do I feel now that I should have paid the paltry extra bit of money and bought the real book?  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment