Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Beat Goes On. More Summer Reading. Readers Write.


       
      Hanali Atkinson: The Orenda should be required reading. She also liked De Niro's Game, The Sentimentalists, and Alligator.

Sandra McIntryre: Just read Joan Thomas' Curiosity. Amazing.

Susan Heald: H is for Hawk. Not a fast read, but beautifully written. A fascinating memoir about grief, the history of social thought and the relationship between humans and other critters.

Peggy Lauzon: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, which I loved for the first 450 pages and now I am to sure I can finish it. (But I have loved everything else he has written).

Gabriel Wendt: The Mechanical Train by Ian Tregellis. It starts strong but then it starts to get a bit clunky.

William Kinsella: Somehow I missed The Secret Life of Bees until now. It immediately jumped onto my top 25 fiction list.




Susan Rogers:Here are some recent reads from the summer I recommend:The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot; The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert; The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan

Maggie Chicoine: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows. A surprisingly great read structured as letter to and fro.

Laurie Elmquist: The Evening Chorus by Helen Humphreys. Love it!

Michael Sobota: I finished "Best Canadian Essays 2014" last week - a stellar collection of 16 Canadian authors (including Marion Agnew). Reviewed in Chronicle Journal. Highly recommended. 



No comments:

Post a Comment