Sunday, September 9, 2018

Library Cards Made Easy and More, Much More!

I joined the local library when I was four years old. In memory, I can still enter the dark and shadowy building on Court Street where a treasure trove of books awaited - but only two books at a time please! I usually took out the same books: Madeleine and Freddy the Pig. It seemed pointless to get any others when these were so good. I also remember story time with the librarian, Miss Brownlee. 

Later when I was a teen, I checked out records of classical music. Swan Lake was my favourite. It came in a book style album of several discs. Then tragedy! I left the records spread out on the living room rug and my father stepped on one, breaking it. I do not remember if my parents had to pay but I do remember my father saying "No more records"! Maybe he was getting sick of Swan Lake day in and day out. But a few weeks later, I returned to the library and took out another folder of records. I noticed that Swan Lake was no longer on the shelf. I felt guilty. I was a killer of phonograph records. This feeling lasted about five minutes, the usual amount of time teen agers feel guilt. I snuck home with Chopin under my arm. My dad simply ignored the whole thing. I kept the records in their folders. All was well. 

The library is a Thunder Bay treasure and always has been. This new season starts with a long list of activities for all ages.  Their newsletter, Connect Here, which seems to get bigger every season, reveals a lively forward looking organization. (you can subscribe to Connect on line at newsletter@tbpl.ca. )



Here are a few library notes:

Hello students! Our Thunder Bay Library has news for you! Library cards are free to all students in elementary, secondary or post secondary schools. You no longer need to provide proof of  a Thunder Bay address. If your home address is outside the city - fine!

Also if you have over due library books, breathe easy. September is Amnesty Month. All fines and charges will be cleared.

Wait, there's more! Elementary and secondary students will not be charged late fees going forward if they are a bit late in returning the borrowed books.

Free faxing at your library.  Free to all local and 800 numbers. Long distance fax however, costs a buck for the first page and 50 cents each for additional pages. You can also print, photocopy and scan stuff there.

As a long time library customer, I appreciate Customer Appreciation Day coming up on October 16. Drop in to any library from 11 pm to 8 pm (5:30 at County Park) to share in refreshments, meet the staff and check out the door prizes and give-aways.

The Library also runs a second hand book store, one of the few remaining in town. It's in Victoriaville  and books are cheaper than cheep, a buck a book. Lots of magazines too for 50 cents. Hours are Monday to Friday 10 am - 4 pm and Saturday 12 pm to 3 pm.

And to sum up, an increase in library hours and that includes Sunday hours at Brodie and County Park. Yeah!







No comments:

Post a Comment