Monday, July 20, 2020

An inspiring true story by Peter Lang.

Just thought you might be interested in something reasonable, positive, organic, local, personal, and inspiring -- in contrast to the constant barrage of bad news we've been receiving in the media.

AN ANGEL FROM THE TOWNSHIP

Today, just as I finished widening my driveway-hill-entrance (because a neighbour slipped off the edge and got stuck while plowing snow), an angel from the township presented herself to me.  Truly.  

One would think that after driving to town and back, and loading and unloading a trailer load of cement rubble that I would have been ready for bed, or a nap, at least... (I thought I was).

But my angel was driving a little tractor with a side-cutter, cutting a 3' wide swath of green stuff growing on either side of the road.  A week ago, I used my scythe to do something similar and wound up with a two-day headache/neckache from wielding it. This time all I had to do was rake into small piles what was already cut, load it onto my new trailer, and deliver it to my compost pile.  

I simply forgot my fatigue and jumped at the chance -- the gift.

The seasonal timing was beautiful, too.  Most of that green stuff hadn't gone to seed.  Usually when the township cuts, it's in late July.  Although a hot compost pile will kill seeds and roots, it takes a lot of sustained heat; so, I usually avoid adding seeds and roots to the compost pile.

So, as you might be wondering (as I'm sure you are..), this green stuff, replete with nitrogen, and layered with last year's leaves, for carbon -- plus rain and oxygen, heats up amazingly as it breaks down.  One foot down into the pile I've been making (now 4'X5'X4'), you can hardly hold your hand for the heat.  Yet this is without the rain it should really have for best results.

Actually, during this hot spell, and over two weeks, we've only had about an hour or so of rain a couple of days ago.  Otherwise, a few drops here and there; but nothing like the rainy day forecasts we've been having.




No comments:

Post a Comment