Sunday, July 12, 2020

Summer Poems

Why I Love Her
by Ulrich Wendt

She builds trails that go nowhere in particular.
They meander and wander through the brush along the river
As do the sinews of the heart
Or the way the mind finds comfort in ambiguity
And though I'm sometimes caught up in the logic of pure reason,
My line running straight and purposeful
Like wolves on a savage hunt,
She remains my persuasion.

 For Laura

Lost in what looks from below like pleasure,
the crane is beating hard against the wind.
Come with me soon to Birch River.
He will not hang in the air like that
forever.
......................
Desire
by Joe Fiorito
from his recent book All I Have Learned is Where I Have Been

These bees, drunk
with heat, toss themselves

like stones against a
windowpane of bee-want

their hot cause, the summer
roses in my vase.

Little Sister, Asleep

She, on a kitchen chair --
legs tucked up, short hair --
grabbed me there.

She died later, sniffing 
gasoline: all I have learned
is where I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment