Launch! Prince Arthur Hotel! September 5. 6:30. Cake and beverage. Meet the Authors.

Launch! Prince Arthur Hotel! September 5. 6:30. Cake and beverage. Meet the Authors.
Prize Winning Stories from NOWW

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sample the Core

Mary Frost, one of Thunder Bay's best and best loved known poets, gets to the core of winter in a sample from the upcoming book Core Samples.

Weather Report
In these acres, I am the micro-climate
and the prevailing wind.
Winter's dreariness
started in my eye and proved infectious.
My skeleton informs those creaking branches.
My thoughts are silent crows manoevering tree to tree.

I will scrape winter off
as yesterday
I cracked the ice-crust off the car
when freezing drizzle coated everything.
Glazed road-signs with a saw-toothed lower edge
cut no ice with me.

I will go inward
where a sun-spark smoulders like fire in ashes
and come back singing,
carrying a torch for spring.
The red osier dogwood will flare and flame again;
the paper birch turn over a new leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment